Memories for Zoe Elizabeth

This Blog is for my precious baby girl, who will most likely be born sometime around October 15th...even though she isn't due until October 31st.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Scary Moments

Zoe had trouble breathing last night. As you know, newborns have not yet discovered that they can (willingly) breathe through their mouths. They think they can only breath through their noses. Well, her little nose is stopped up and she was making these horrible snorting sounds followed by little squeals and then big cries. She was also turning purple around the mouth! So, we got her into her DR first thing when they opened. They did a chest x-ray (perfect...her whole body was actually in the x-ray so they got an added bonus of seeing her sinus cavities!), O2 saturation levels...all the way at 99% (even better than when she left Cook's!) The DR listened, he poked, he prodded. He pronounced her healthy. Said to continue using the bulb syringe (which doesn't fit inside her nostrils) and saline drops.

They weighed her. She weighed the same as she did two days ago (according to their charts) -- 6lbs 9oz. Silly me, I thought she'd gained an ounce but apparently the nurse used the faulty weight from Tuesday as the "official" weight. And they are, of course, concerned about her lack of weight gain. I didn't think it was a big deal at all, but apparently she should be gaining an ounce/day. They want her back next Friday for a weight check. She has to be 7 lbs exactly, or I don't know what they'll do. Of course, this makes me panicky. She's a breastfed infant, and I don't make her stop eating...she stops when she wants to stop. Granted, she's a really lazy eater....she takes her sweet time and sometimes we eat for 45 minutes or longer! But she poops, pees, and gets hungry at regular intervals. But now, I'm panicked.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger Joanie said…

    Hope she starts gaining soon. Keep us posted!

     
  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    congratulations, I know I'm a little late. Y'all have been in my prayers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home